Training and Education
The Transportation Planning Capacity Building (TPCB) Program promotes training in a broad range of transportation planning subjects. The training is geared to the needs of decisionmakers, transportation officials, professional staff, and FHWA and FTA field staff. The TPCB Training and Education Resources page is frequently updated to include new and revised training programs and educational resources.
Please click on the links below to access course information about TPCB Programs, National Highway Institute (NHI) and National Transit Institute (NTI) course offerings, and academic institutions and professional organizations that offer transportation planning courses. To search training and educational materials by topic area, please use the resource index.
Resource Index: Use the resource index to search by course topic.
- TPCB-related Programs
- Metropolitan Transportation Planning: Executive Seminar - Tailored to audience requirements (topics and length), provides an overview of the basic concepts, components, and participants in the metropolitan planning process. Also highlights innovative and noteworthy practices.
- Tribal Planning Series - Coming soon.
- Local and Tribal Technical Assistance Program - The Federal Highway Administration's Local and Tribal Technical Assistance Programs (LTAP/TTAP) clearinghouse acts as a central source of information for LTAP/TTAP centers and other industry stakeholders.
- Travel Model Improvement Program (TMIP) - Helps planning agencies improve the techniques they use to inform their decisionmakers on how growth in population and employment, development patterns, and investments in transportation infrastructure are likely to affect travel, congestion, air quality, and quality of life.
- Professional Capacity Building (PCB) Council - Advances the state of the practice in transportation professional capacity building.
- National Highway Institute (NHI): Part of FHWA, NHI provides transportation planning-related training in many formats including both classroom based and distance based learning.
- National Transit Institute (NTI): Provides training, education, and clearinghouse services in support of public transportation and quality of life in the United States.
- Academic Institutions: Click to access a list of academic institutions that provide transportation planning courses.
- American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) - Nonprofit, nonpartisan association representing highway and transportation departments in the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico.
- American Planning Association (APA) - An independent, not-for-profit, educational organization that provides leadership in the development of vital communities by advocating excellence in community planning, promoting education and citizen empowerment, and providing the tools and support necessary to meet the challenges of growth and change.
- American Public Transportation Association (APTA) - An international organization for the bus, rapid transit and commuter rail systems industry.
- Association of Metropolitan Planning Organizations (AMPO) - Nonprofit, membership organization that serves the needs and interests of metropolitan planning organizations (MPOs) nationwide.
- National Association of Development Organizations (NADO) - Provides training, information and representation for regional development organizations in small metropolitan and rural America.
- National Association of Regional Councils (NARC) - Provides services to its member councils of government (COGs) and MPOs.
- Transportation Research Board (TRB) - Promotes innovation and progress in transportation through research.