Sharing Peer Planning Solutions
Professionals at all levels need resources that help them gather knowledge, build their skills, and stay "ahead of the curve." The Transportation Planning Capacity Building (TPCB) Program responds to this need by organizing, facilitating, and documenting events in order to share noteworthy practices among agencies facing an increasingly complex transportation planning environment through the Peer Program and the Scenario Planning Program. TPCB also highlights excellence in transportation planning through the biennial Transportation Planning Excellence Awards (TPEA) Program.
To learn more, click here to read summaries of past peer events.
For information on how to apply for peer assistance, visit the Peer Program Application page.
For more information on the Transportation Planning Excellence Awards (TPEA) Program please visit the TPEA web page.
Each peer event is designed to suit the specific needs of applicant agencies. Dialogue and information sharing among transportation planning agencies is offered in a variety of formats, corresponding to different levels and types of need:
- Peer Exchange: One-on-one site visits and small-group discussion of specific, shared transportation planning issues that respond to agencies' direct needs.
- Peer Workshop: Peer experts train other agencies in the use of specific transportation planning tools and/or techniques during site visits or in conjunction with conferences.
- Peer Roundtable: Half- or full-day panel or roundtable discussions of innovative transportation practices at conferences by recognized national experts and/or agency representatives who have successfully implemented the practices being highlighted.
- Webinar: Interactive web-based presentations and information sharing during which participants exchange questions and answers.
Categories for the peer exchanges and the TPEA awards are derived from a wide range of transportation planning and policy issues and may include (but are not limited to) the following list. For a complete list of TPEA awards categories and explanations please visit the TPEA categories web page.
- Asset Management
- Air Quality Conformity
- Bicycle and Pedestrian Facilities Planning
- Climate Change and Transportation
- Complete Streets
- Data/Information Management
- Environmental Issues
- Financial Planning and Forecasting
- Interested Party Participation
- Land Use and Transportation
- Management and Operations
- Metropolitan/Regional Planning
- MPO Organization and Structure
- Performance Measures
- Rural/Small Community Planning
- Statewide Planning
- Transit-Oriented Development
- Transportation Safety Planning
- Tribal Planning and Coordination